Hi Path Menders,
This week on the Mended Path’s Podcast I am speaking with Cindy Sutherland. Cindy is a Registered Nurse from California. After losing her husband, she lost focus on her weight and her health. Headaches brought her to the doctor where she was told she was at an extreme risk of a stroke. But she wasn’t prepared to accept failing health as inevitable.
Join us today as Cindy shares her story of how she mended her path, lost 125 Lbs. and reclaimed her health by adopting a whole food plant based lifestyle.
In today’s show we discuss (show notes):
- Cindy’s history – high protein, high fat dieting (0:58),
- Carbohydrate restriction lead to post diet carb loading (3:03),
- Family tragedy lead to no focus on weight or health (4:32),
- Headaches lead to alarming news at the doctor (8:21),
- Atkins – her go to approach (11:34),
- Less weight loss than expected but moreover she couldn’t stomach Atkins any longer (16:50),
- Internet research introduced her to the unknown world of veganism and the movie “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”(18:22),
- There is value in the journey not just the destination (20:01),
- Juicing lead to daily weight loss (23:08),
- How she felt on the different diets / what she ate (24:09),
- She felt better without oil; from walking to running (28:27),
- The desire for cooked food again (30:55),
- On the diets of her children and their resolving medical issues (35:15),
- On reducing medication and losing weight (40:39),
- More on what she eats (42:51),
- How she handles vacation and, food as a drug (45:17), and,
- Her advice for Path Menders (46:40).
Here is this week’s episode:
Thanks for Listening!
Resources referenced in this episode:
- Fat Sick & Nearly Dead (DVD),
- T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies (Website),
- Dr. McDougall’s Health & Medical Center (Website),
- The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! – John A. McDougall, MD (Book),
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease – Caldwell Esselstyn, MD (Website),
- The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine – Neal Barnard, MD (Website),
- Dr. Fuhrman – Joel Fuhrman, MD (Website),
- Nutritionfacts.org – Michael Greger, MD (Website),
- TrueNorth Health Center – Dr. Alan Goldhamer, Doug Lisle, Ph.D. (Website), and,
- Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that, Undermines Health & Happiness – Doug J. Lisle, Ph.D. & Dr. Alan Goldhamer (Book).
Don’t miss an episode! Click here to join the Mended Paths Community and receive notification when a new episode is released. Plus, get your copy of the free Mended Paths: Back to Better “Healthy Living Quick Reference Guide” when you sign-up!
Wishing you the Best of Health,
Chadwick @ The Mended Paths Podcast