Hi Path Menders,
The week I’m honored to speak with Dr. Howard Jacobson, PhD. Howard has a Masters of Public Health and a Doctorate of Health Studies from Temple University as well as a BA in History from Princeton. He is a contributing author on Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition and The Low-Carb Fraud by T. Colin Campbell, PhD. He also co-authored Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It with Dr. Garth Davis, MD. He’s also written 3 editions of AdWords For Dummies.
In addition to being a researcher and author, Howard is a speaker, educator and coach. He currently runs The Big Change Program along with fellow Path Mender and previous guest Josh Lajaunie! He also hosts the most excellent Plant Yourself Podcast. If you want to take advantage of his personal coaching you can email him directly at [email protected].
In today’s show we discuss (show notes):
- Playing catch-up; Knowing but not doing (1:20),
- The China Study found fertile ground with Howard (3:44),
- Immediate changes in his life and some negative consequences on his family relationships (5:15),
- If he could do it over – There was no (urgent) emergency (8:48),
- On non-conformity – understanding the biological urge for social cohesion (11:29),
- His quiet approach to public interaction: Modeling good behavior (15:12),
- It’s not just a question of health for him; remaining curious and keeping an open mind (18:33),
- On what is knowable (23:21),
- Low Carb as a misrepresentation of how we evolved (26:27),
- What the “Paleo” diet means; A matter of perspective (34:06),
- Howard’s version of “Paleo” (38:18),
- On average protein requirements (40:01),
- Howard’s advice to Path Menders (45:25), and,
- His coaching business (47:20).
Here is this week’s episode:
Thanks for Listening!
Resources referenced in this episode:
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health (T. Colin Campbell, PhD & Thomas M. Campbell, MD),
- Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth Second Edition (John Robbins),
- The “How much protein do you need?” Calculator, and,
- Meathooked: The History and Science of Our 2.5-Million-Year Obsession with Meat (Marta Zaraska).
Don’t miss an episode! Click here to join the Mended Paths Community and receive notification when a new episode is released. Plus, get your copy of the free Mended Paths: Back to Better “Healthy Living Quick Reference Guide” when you sign-up!
Wishing you the Best of Health,
Chadwick @ The Mended Paths Podcast